Friday, March 9, 2018

Hard Science Fiction for Hard People in a Hurry.

After a long hiatus, I've decided to restart the Slipgate Exile from the beginning.
I am going to be burying myself in some research first before restarting the narrative.
This will not be Hard Science fiction.
This will be slightly softer science speculation fiction.
What I mean is that my astrophysics has had a major upgrade but I still know what I am about to write is going to be hard for the hard science fictionists to take never mind the scientists with their collective heads up their glutes...
I would dedicate this to Neil (since it's really his fault) but I suspect he will only sigh and roll his eyes at me before threatening to discuss this travesty on Star Talk without inviting me to defend my science.

Anyway, I digress.
Look to April as the new launch date for my slightly over medium science fiction debut of the Slipgate Exile.

A Teaser.


It's hard for me to tell you what happened. I can say this and by saying it; recognize that I am now almost human enough to appreciate how ridiculous it is for me to even attempt to explain what happened. Maggie says that it is my humanity that makes me want to explain it. I will have to believe her since the part of me that remains alien is unable to even begin a process that would make any kind of sense as to what happened.
Sometimes at night, when I sit outside the container that Maggie calls home, she will look up into the sky and ask me to point to where I came from. I have long since stopped with the honest answer which is I don't know, the distance and time having pulled my point of origin out of comprehensible direction. Instead, I just make something up, she always buys it, oohs and aahs and then leans her head against my shoulder as we settle back to watch the stars until she falls asleep there and I carry her into bed.
As I sit there on her deck looking up into the universe, I try to remember what it was like to be who I was, what I was in that other place beyond the Slipgate. I can't, my human form has robbed me of those memories as surely as the concept of memory itself is intrinsically human in and of itself. I was truly alien to what is now my reality and what little I do remember is colored by my humanity to the point that if I were to remember enough to tell the story, it would be less alien and more human as I would have to talk about it from a human perspective.
The moment I realized this was on January 9th, 2006 local time 10pm on a radio wave frequency when I beheld a human on a visual amplification unit... a "TV" broadcasting a rerun of a human show about aliens who come to this planet to investigate it. The lead alien portrayed as a man who was once alien but is now a human even though he was a human in the first place but then asks if any of his team can lick their back and I knew that I would never understand what it had been like to stride as the Walker again. Even as I had the thought I knew that Walker was what my human brain translated the original memory into. Everything I had been before coming to this place would only be remembered through the constraints of my own humanity. Such loss I felt at that moment.
Then I picked up Maggie and took her to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment